Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sneaking up on carp. And why, versus other fishing techniques, it’s important.

By now you’ve probably figured out that I’m a carp angler. No, not crap angler, carp. Well, most bottom feeding fish anyway, but carp, cats and sturgeon are prevalent aroudn the Pacific NW, and I used to love catching monster carp back in Upstate NY on Conesus lake when I was younger. We used to cheat though and chum the water with whole kernel corn, a practice which is frowned upon in most states now. We had good reason though – carp like corn, and corn attracts carp. A benefit is that carp will burrow looknig for the corn, and this acts as a natural seaweed removal process. But I digress….why you need to sneak up on carp.

Some carpers will tell you that you have to wear camo, well, that I don’t agree with as I’m never close enough to them, but they are skittish fish moreseo than many species. They have incredibly good “hearing” of vibrations through the water. They’ll hear you walking down a dock, or even russling leaves on a tree if it’s touching the water. Once they hear you, they bolt. They can also see “Fairly” well, although I”m pretty certain that it’s based on movement, and they can’t figure out bait.

Carp can generally see in low light better than we can (hell they live in murky water) and most of the good carp fishing is at night, so you need to figure out how to sneak up on them. I generally fish rivers now, so this isn’t an issue, and am casting lead a hundred feet or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment